Toastmasters International, the global organization devoted to communication and leadership skills development, experienced its 22nd consecutive year of growth. During that time, the organization has more than doubled its membership. Today, Toastmasters has more than 345,000 members in 15,900 clubs and a presence in 142 countries.
"The continued growth of Toastmasters International is a testament to the organization's proven programs," says Mike Storkey, Toastmasters 2016-2017 International President. "We're seeing growth, regardless of geography, stemming from people's desire to become more confident in front of an audience. It's a skill that's in high demand in the workplace and Toastmasters offers a successful program in a supportive environment."
Highlights of Toastmasters' annual growth include:
- 3.9 percent membership increase
- Expanded presence in Cameroon, Dominican Republic,Guadeloupe, Gambia, Malta, State of Palestine and United Republic of Tanzania
- More than 70,000 education achievement awards earned by members. An increase of 5.8 percent over the previous year
- 1,469 new clubs were formed
- The organization's highest rate of growth was outside of North America
"More people than ever before are joining Toastmasters to become better communicators and leaders," says Toastmasters Chief Executive Officer Daniel Rex. "We have a number of initiatives underway, including Toastmasters Pathways, which will revitalize our education program and give our members the opportunity to develop more skills than ever before."
To discuss Toastmasters' growth and the organization's future direction with CEO Daniel Rex, email email@example.com. To view a chart of Toastmasters' membership growth since 1990, visithttp://www.toastmasters.org/membershipgrowthchart.
First published: RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA, Calif., Sept. 7, 2016